Sunday, May 3, 2009

Daily Grommet & New Spinning Wheel

Well, I have been busy with my new job. I went to New York again this past week for more training. I will have to go one more time, probably in a month.

One of my products from my little soap company was selected to be featured on Daily Grommet (http://www.dailygrommet.com/products/132-Steep-Falls-Soap-Company-Lavender-Pillow-Mist). This is a link to the feature & video. My Lavender Pillow Mist is a favorite of the founder of the online business. They did a wonderful job, professional photographer & videographer. I was flattered & they really did a lot of work on my behalf.


I also treated myself to a new spinning wheel, the Kromski Sonata. I have had my eye on this wheel since it first came out. I decided to finally get it & sell my Ashford Traditional. The Sonata is a folding wheel with a really nice carrying bag so I can take it with me much easier than trying to take the Traditional & it is also much easier to just take it to a different part of the house to sit and spin. I have spun on it two evenings now & I really like it. It is beautiful mahogany.


The carrying case is REALLY nice quality (as is the wheel).


I also did the Denmark Sheepfest a few Saturdays ago. It is a very small fiber fest & is really fun because it gets a lot of traffic for such a little event & I know most of the people....... AND it is local, so I really enjoy doing it. I bought some roving to try water color needle felting. I thought this blue and green would make a nice background for flowers or fish in the sea. I've never done water color needle felting but I bought a book & would like to try it.
I also bought a spinning wheel basket at the sheepfest. You hang it on your spinning wheel & you can put your oil, hook, pens, notepad and whathaveyou in it. I don't know yet if I'm going to hang it on my wheel or use it for something else.

While at the sheepfest, I had brought my drum carder so I could get some carding done that I had been wanting to do for a year. I wanted to blend some of my black alpaca with brown alpaca. So I got some done! I've already spun a couple of batts on my new Sonata.
When I went to visit Romney Ridge Farm last fall, Kelly gave me a sample of Southdown Babydoll sheep's wool to try spinning. I haven't gotten to it yet but I think I will within the next couple of weeks. I've had it setting on my table so I see it everyday & won't forget about it.


Oh, I made yogurt for the first time last weekend with my new yogurt maker & it came out great! The only thing, which didn't bother me anyways, was that it was lumpy like cottage cheese. I didn't care, it tasted wonderful!

Well, I am headed to Foss Mountain Farm in New Hampshire this afternoon to look at a couple of brown alpacas.

TTFN.

1 comment:

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

You will love the Sonata! I bought one too. I'm going to keep my Louet...I can't bear to part with it.