Sunday, July 19, 2009

Basket Weaving Class

I took a basket weaving class this weekend. It was a fun time with a gourmet lunch. It is a 2 day fiber workshop with several different classes offered at Shearbrooke Farm in Standish, Maine. For the basket weaving class, we made a potato basket.


Getting it started is the unfun part. You need 6 hands to keep everything in place until you get it going.


Then it got fun after things would stay in place on it's own.



This is my finished basket with Ben modeling in it for me. He was being a very good model which is unusual for him.



It is plenty big & will hold lots of fiber. My husband couldn't believe it when I showed him. He said "You didn't make that just today." He expected me to come home with a little bread basket or something a lot smaller than this.


If you want to check out the workshop info, go to this link. It is held once a year, always in July. http://www.sacovalleyfiberartists.com/shearbrooke.html A portion of the proceeds go to the Guatemala Education Fund, in support of the children of Maya weavers and crafts people.
We had beautiful weather here in Southern Maine this weekend. It's about time.
TTFN.






5 comments:

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Your basket turned out beautiful.
Nancy
www.basketmasterweavings.blogspot.com

Auntie Bonnie said...

Loved your basket. I love those useful unitarian baskets.
Bonnie

Dawn said...

It was really nice talking to you this weekend, and WOW did that basket turn out great! I think I know what I'm doing next year.

Claire MW said...

wow, what a beautiful basket! I would love a few of those for my fiber. I wish I lived closer to Maine so I could attend that workshop. My parents are in Nova Scotia - maybe I could tie it in to a driving trip sometime! It looks like such fun! I'd love to try one with some coloured roving woven through it as well, although I suppose that would be a moth magnet.

Weavin' Wicker Woman said...

Kelly,

That was a great basket, was it your first basketweaving experience? One thing you might want to include in your next one, is some of that Alpaca spun wool of yours as a weaving material! A couple of accent rows of that would be great. The bumpier and course the wool strands would be, the better! You go girl!

The Wicker Woman-Cathryn Peters
http://wickerwoman.blogspot.com
http://www.WickerWoman.com/antler-baskets