Saturday, September 19, 2009

Goodbye Oreo

Oreo has been missing for a month and a half now. We've had our speculations about what happened to him. We didn't think he had been struck because he was pretty street smart. He would sit right next to the edge of the road & look up & down for traffic....and when the coast was clear, he would cross. It was funny to watch.

I was across the street at my neighbors a couple of days ago & they asked me about him. I said he's been missing. They noticed that he didn't seem to be so street smart anymore. I had noticed the same but we hadn't found a body. They'd seen big trucks come to a complete stop for him several times. I'd noticed that he would start across the road right in front of a car & just take his sweet time. I guess he'd become too confident.

Last night I was sitting on my porch just starting to look at the new issue of Spin Off magazine when I heard my other neighbor's chickens squawking like something was after them. I looked up & there was a dog trying to get into their pen. I immediately went over to let them know what was happening. We were talking & they asked me about Oreo. I told them he's been missing. A little ways further up our road, a black & white cat was struck. A fellow at a nearby house removed him from the road but didn't know who he belonged to. This happened around the time Oreo disappeared so, I think it's safe to say...... it was Oreo. There is a bit on a knoll in the road there so someone coming along would not have seen him until it was too late.

So, we sadly say "Goodbye" to Oreo.......King rodent catcher (we're talking...in one afternoon....a mouse, a bird, a red squirrel and another mouse!), great sidekick around the yard, loving lap warmer and VERY loud meow-er at 4:00 in the morning.


Goodbye Oreo....little buddy. We'll miss you.


No comments: